Monday 21 July 2014

Dead Close

I am trying my best to remember as many memories as I can at this moment.
I don't remember too much about living in easthorpe close, I was too young and I am also not sure why we left there to move house literally around the corner into what would be our house for all of my life in Dead close. There were rumours over the years that my mam had fallen out with all of the neighbours, I think this is very possible after knowing what my mam is like now, but it's still a mystery and I certainly don't want to confirm it now with old neighbours, I would just get upset.

We carried our furniture around the corner into the next street and this was to be our home for all of our lives.

Looking through rose tinted spectacles at the moment but I have many fond memories of growing up there, at the time of writing, my mam still lives there, and I still visit, I can never quite let go of it but that's another story, more to do with my personality than anything else.

So we settled in, my dad had a job and my mother eventually worked for a company called Union Carbide. Once again, I was too young to remember details but my parents did do a lot of work and worked a lot of shifts, sometimes on opposite shifts from each other and rarely saw each other.

These were the days when people had to work, it was As simple as that. I think my dad still did a fair bit of drinking as my mam would later say. I remember they used to go out sometimes on a Saturday night and my sisters would baby sit me. We had a hi - fi from America that folded up into a suitcase, i think the make was a 'Mayfair'. We used to put it on and sing & dance to the 70's tunes like Suzie Quatro and the Osmond's. Sometimes we would record ourselves singing, I remember my sister Jane singing a song by the Osmond's called 'deep purple' and me singing 'we're the monkees' I loved the monkees. They weren't 70's but their T.V. show was always on in the 70's and 80's when I was growing up and i loved the music and the slap stick comedy.

We had a pet tortoise called Joey, I think I let him out by accident and he just kept walking. Poor joey, I mean, he really must have been left a long time before anyone noticed him gone, it's been over 30 years now, he might have just got 10 miles, maybe he will come back tomorrow.

GOD, everything written above is really boring.
Sorry about that.

No comments:

Post a Comment