Monday 26 May 2014

I'm a failed rocker



Well I'm a failed rocker I suppose, I still play in bands, and duos but the dream is OVER.

There's nothing really that original these days, it's all repackaged vaudeville as far as I can see.
Every generation has it's own rebel music, back to the teddy boys and rock n roll, or the mods, or the hippys or the glams, or the punks, goths, indie show gazers, emos and and back round again and again and again. It's all been done, even an emo is a shit goth. A punk today is not as violent as a punk from the 70's they certainly dont have the same drive or passion or commitment, maybe the same government so I can understand some of it, but they are weekend punks, they're not the real deal. The real punks still frighten me to this day, even though they are in their 50's they still punk themselves up, and I'm more terrified seeing an adult looking like that rather than a uni kid trying to be retro.

Every kid now tries to shock me with the new bands they're into, some kind of ultra heavy fuck metal death band with a messed up name, some kind of shocking name like the crawling bleeding C**TS, meant to shock me, but it doesn't it's just hype, it's bullshit to make geeks buy the music that's all, it's a selling device, a marketing tool and once again the geeky kids looking for an identity buy it trying to have strength in numbers and try to shock me but they wont. It's been done, it's vaudeville, its theatre, it's shit.
Give me a band that's going to disembowel themselves for real during the last song, and I might get tickets to that, but until then don't waste my time.....none of it's real and I don't care how shocking and rocking the band is, they WILL mellow out I guarantee it, they will mellow and mature and they will be listening and playing the mellow music I listen to now, you know why? Because we ALL go back to rootsy music in the end, we try to rebel against it in our youth but we love it and appreciate it as we mature, there's no escaping it. SO just cut the shit, and listen to good music NOW, why not, you can;t resist it forever, it will get you in the end, I don't care how much eyeliner or white powder you put on your face, or the black nail varnish you put on, I'm telling you now...STOP IT, put on a checked shirt, grab a can of beer and listen to Barry Manilow 'I made it through the rain', It's over, give it up, you're not an individual. Stick Barry on, chill out. Get on with it!!

I remember being in original bands, playing at small festivals and gigs, and battle of the bands. I remember weeks before building these gigs up in my mind. I'd see hundreds of people before me jumping and screaming the lyrics to the songs, girls perched on top of guys shoulders with their tits out bouncing to the beat of the music I was pumping out to them. I'd see people who had done me wrong standing in awe as I thrust my guitar around the stage doing Jimi Hendrix type licks and riffs, pulling out all the stops, amps blaring out feedback, cameras constantly flashing, the press eager to follow me along the stage filming my antics, cheers, screams and flashing strobe lights, the heat rising from my head like a smoky haze as the backlight hits me........
Then in reality I'd get to the gig, and it would be a small pub like your local 'Red Lion / The Crown' and I'd be told to playin in the corner where the pool table used to be, but I'd have to wait until some of the punters there had finsihed playing on the fruit machines......and there'd only be about 20 people in, and no one knew your songs / liked your songs / or even cared who you were.





No comments:

Post a Comment