Monday 12 May 2014

Getting away from it all.

Hi there. Here's a video, to me it's kind of bitter sweet. I was a carer for my mother for a couple of years before she passed away.
During this time, I had little money to do anything, little time, and not much motivation, I was kind of depressed to be honest, so whenever I could I would set out on the train from my hometown to the end of the rail line which was Saltburn, and start walking form the ship inn and along the coast.

I loved it, although I could have done with some company at times. There are moments when you think 'Yeah this is great, this is what it's all about!!' you go into a quaint village, you think 'I'm so lucky to see this, the world is beautiful!' you go in a country pub, you get a drink of beer, you think 'This is amazing, I've spent my time wisely this weekend, this is what life should be about!'....you sit down next to the open fire, the friendly dog comes to greet you, you think 'This is great'...you look around and see other people, other people together, other people talking, other people who are kissing, other people enjoying each others company...and you think.....'FUCK.....I'M ALONE !!!'' and out into the cold fucking wind you go....for more punishment, that's what it was punishment, punishment for being ALONE!!

I joke of course, the scenery was stunning at times. ..and I would meet other happy walkers too, you know those type?? The old ones who dont have sex anymore. I didnt mix too much with them, those fuckers slowed me down.

I'm joking,it was just a time to myself, somewhere to burn my energy off and think about things, sometimes the countryside can do this, it can clear your mind.
I stopped in Staithes one night, which was a bit like a pirates den I thought, especially at night. The pubs near the seafront were like something out of dickens novel or Robert Louis Stevenson, low ceiling, Ales, shouting, laughing, it was great, I ordered a beer and waited for someone to crash the door down, someone dressed in black with a long black cape, and a hook of some sort, it had that feel. I made my way back up the bank to the captain cook hotel which was where I was staying that night. That's another nice little place. I had a few ales and sat in front of the open fire, but i got a bit depressed and sad, wondering why I was doing this to myself. I still don't know why, maybe I wanted to see how low I could feel, so going back home would feel great. I went to bed drunk and slept like a log.

Next morning at breakfast I met a nice chap from Leeds, and after a few bits of small talk, we found out we had a love of football and the Who. He also asked me why I was walking out here on the coast. I told him about my mother, and that I was her carer and needed a bit of break from it all. His face lit up, he told me he was doing a similar thing. His son had cerebral palsy and he was his sons carer and this was the only way he could get a bit of a break from it all. It was quite heartbreaking to hear about his son and I wish I'd met this guy earlier, we could have went for a few drinks and maybe walked a bit, who knows....It seemed a shame. Well, where ever he is I wish him the very best, all the best Dave.

That morning I headed out from Staithes to sandsend, through thick fog, which was totally terrifying. it reminded me of the horror film 'THE FOG' it just kept coming and coming,and blackened out the sun until 2.00p.m. freezing sea fog, from all those dead souls who perished in the icy waters of the NORRRRRTH SEA AAAARRRGGGHHH.. I made it to Sandsend in the afternoon, had a lovely slap up Sunday dinner in the pub there, hearts inn or something?? Can't remember the posh pub at Sandsend... Unfortunately I'd walked all those miles in shorts that had sown in underpants, which chaffed and cut the inside of the top of my thighs in between my scrotum, so it was painful to walk.....I got the bus back to Saltburn...

No comments:

Post a Comment