Friday 27 November 2009

My parents in America 2

Like many other nationalities that were based in America, there were communities, and as far as I'm aware, My parents had their own Scottish community, my dad certainly did. My father would go out with his friends and eventually hook up with other like - minded people, on one occasion my parents met. Scottish being Scottish, there were many drinking sessions, I think my dad was always more sociable when under the influence of alcohol, being a quiet man who was also a deep thinker, he always struggled with small talk and would quickly move onto more cerebral topics after introducing himself, which was never easy for complete strangers to grasp. After he had a drink however he was fun, generous (to a fault) and a great ballroom dancer by all accounts.
So my parents met and as far as know there were many good nights out, long drives out, going to the drive in cinemas (that must have been fantastic) and so on. It must have been around this time that my mother broke her arm in a car accident, the details to this have always deserted me, but I believe it was a case of drink driving. I think many people did it in those days (not that I'm condoning it) and this occasion was quite a terrible experience for my mother, as a result of this she has always had a 'clicky' elbow and her arm is slightly bent out of shape.

No comments:

Post a Comment