Friday 27 November 2009

My Parents in America 1

Where do I begin? This will probably have no structure at all, but in a sense I don't care, because nothing has much structure, especially in recalling memories. I will quote from Steven Berkoff in saying that these memoirs will be written as 'Free association', so it will appear to be quite random at times.

Ok I was born on September 26th 1972, in Darlington, County Durham in England. My parents were Scottish and had moved to the North East after a few years of travelling around. They actually met in Chicago Illinois in the early sixties after leaving Scotland, It's funny how two people who lived 15 miles from each other, should travel thousands of miles to meet. My mother was a nanny who worked for Mr & Mrs Wiener, a Jewish couple who worked in health care. My mother had a deep running contemptment towards MR weiner who was said to have not treated anyone with respect, especially my mother, who was......a nanny. Maybe my mother hated taking orders, this seems more likely. 

My father was a skilled man, a toolmaker by trade and I make no apologies by describing him as a toolmaking genius. After finishing his apprenticeship and also serving his two years national service in the R.A.F. he embarked on a mission to America. Many of my dads friends were going, so they all went, all the lads.

He eventually became a painter & decorator, I remember him telling me he had painted one one the 'Knicker bocker' hotels (I believe this was a chain of hotels) and he saw Elizabeth Montgomery who was fairly famous then from being in 'Bewitched', It was strange for him to have once have been a rough tough working class Scottish lad and then be in America and seeing all the sights and sounds of America, I was always impressed listening to him about America. It is a place that even today I am in total awe with, At this moment I am a million miles from ever getting a chance to go there, but there is something in me that tells me I will go there, to live or at least to have such a long stay over there, I would love that. I would love to go on a coast to coast holiday there, maybe I could marry a bag lady and get quick citizenship, the possibilities are endless.



No comments:

Post a Comment